This exercise was developed by Dr. Anya Goodman (California Polytechnic State University) and Dr. James Youngblom (California State University, Stanislaus). This exercise engages students in annotating genomic DNA from less famous species of Drosophila while teaching basic bioinformatics skills.
Archived Curriculum This curriculum is no longer being actively maintained by the GEP Curriculum Committee.
Finding Genes in a New Fly Genome
- Last Reviewed: January 5, 2012
- Last Updated: January 5, 2012
- Anya Goodman, James Youngblom
- Created: January 5, 2012
- Curriculum Section: Gene Annotation
- Curriculum Type: Lesson with Exercises
- NIBLSE Competencies: C4
- Topic Tags: Gene Finding, Similarity Search, Splicing
- Tool Tags: BLAST, ExPASy, Gene Model Checker, Gene Record Finder, UCSC Genome Browser