Dr. Justin R. DiAngelo (Penn State Berks) has developed an exercise that takes students through a series of steps to annotate a gene in a Drosophila biarmipes contig. Students will construct a gene model using gene predictions, BLASTX searches, and the GEP UCSC Genome Browser mirror. Students will then verify their final gene model using the Gene Model Checker.
Archived Curriculum This curriculum is no longer being actively maintained by the GEP Curriculum Committee.
A Simple Annotation Exercise
- Last Reviewed: July 5, 2013
- Last Updated: July 5, 2013
- Justin DiAngelo
- Created: July 5, 2013
- Curriculum Section: Gene Annotation
- Curriculum Type: Lesson with Exercises
- NIBLSE Competencies: C4
- Topic Tags: Gene Finding, RNA-Seq, Splicing
- Tool Tags: BLAST, FlyBase, Gene Model Checker, Gene Record Finder, UCSC Genome Browser