This module demonstrates how the transcript generated by RNA polymerase II (the pre-mRNA) is processed to become mature mRNA using the sequence signals identified in Module 2. After completing this module students will be able to use the genome browser to explain the relationships among pre-mRNA, 5′ capping, 3′ polyadenylation, splicing, and mRNA.
Module 3. Transcription, Part II: What happens to the initial transcript made by RNA pol II?
- Last Reviewed: December 31, 2022
- Last Updated: December 31, 2022
- Cathy Silver Key, Chiyedza Small
- Created: September 23, 2015
- Curriculum Section: Gene Annotation, Introducing Genes
- Curriculum Type: Lesson with Exercises
- Target Audience: Beginning Student
- NIBLSE Competencies: C5
- Topic Tags: RNA Maturation, RNA-Seq, Splicing, Transcription
- Tool Tags: UCSC Genome Browser